I want to expand on something that I’ve talked about before. I don’t know whether you’ve noticed it, but at times I talk about how we move back and forth between soul (our essence, our true nature) and mind (personal identity, ego) mostly without realising it.
What actually happens is that we ’switch’ back and forth between soul and mind. We do this because we have the ability to do so, but because most of us are stuck in the mind and live from there, we don’t know that we have this ability to switch back and forth.
This is important to know, because it means that at our core, we are essence, we are light. By our very nature, we are beautiful, peaceful, powerful. It’s just that we move away….’switch’….. to the mind, and we live from there.
Here are some important things to know about ’the switch’.
- The switch is always complete in the sense that we are always coming from either the mind or the soul. We cannot be in the experience of both at the same time. Soul and mind are separate from each other.
- From the mind, we don’t have direct access to our essence as soul. If we have experienced our essence as soul, we know it, but from the mind, it remains a memory only. If we haven’t experienced our essence as soul, then we don’t know that soul exists except intellectually, because we’ve read about it, or we’ve been taught it.
- From the soul, there is no connection to the mind: no beliefs, no thoughts, no feelings (emotions), no body (although the body does still exist because, physically, we are alive, but there is no awareness of the body. This is because the experience of the soul is a ’beyond-the-body’ experience).
- From the mind, there is no awareness of the switch back to the soul, except that we suddenly experience that we’re ’there’, ie. seemingly, out of the blue, we suddenly feel light and free, as if we have no substance at all, or we experience a deep and profound peace where thoughts and feelings fall away, or we see light, or we feel at one with the world around us. These experiences may last a few seconds, or hours, or they may come and go. It doesn’t matter how long they last, they are all the same thing…..our essence, our true nature, soul.
- From this experience of soul, the switch to the mind is noticable. We are instantly aware that we move away, that how we ’feel’ inside changes. We no longer feel light and free, no longer feel peaceful inside. We feel heavier, denser inside, the world around us seems concrete, we are thinking, we are feeling, where there was peace a few moments before the wheels of the mind are now turning.
The reason I know this is because it’s how it is for me. I’ve been switching back and forth between soul and mind for the last 16 years. If you’d like to know more about my story, you can read about it here.
Maybe you’re aware of this switching, too. If not, see if you notice it the next time you’re in a profoundly peaceful state, or any other kind of inner experience that is of the soul, and it suddenly disappears. See if you can pinpoint when it disappeared, and why. The ’why’ is not external. It has to do with you.
I just want to add that there’s no right or wrong. What I’m describing here is natural for all of us.